Wednesday, December 14, 2011

"It's Better to Look Up"

I am a very level-headed person. I do not get overwhelmed very easily, but when I do, I am very overwhelmed. Last night I went to bed around 9:15 and layer in bed until around midnight. It felt like everything had combined against me and I just felt overwhelmed. (It doesn't help that it's finals week). I felt like I had failed at school, wondered if I would be able to achieve my dreams of attending law school (BYU's law school hopefully), and many personal things in my life seemed to be falling apart right now. Some people I love very dearly are not doing what they know they should and it is breaking my heart. As I was laying there thinking of how I could ever help these people I love so much, accomplish everything I hope for in school, succeed in my job (if I'm going to succeed in school), and of course just wondering what life holds for me after I have done all that I can. This was so overwhelming and luckily about two hours into my little crisis, my roommate came home and just listened to me vent for about an hour.

My Nana (grandma), who is one of my heroes, has a saying of a good nights rest, a good meal, and a good work out can brighten any situation. When I woke up today, I felt a surge of motivation- I knew I could still achieve my dreams of school and law school if I was willing to work for it and felt so much better. I had a very long study of the Bible, and then read two talks by authorities of my church. This talk made me feel so much better and do you know what I realized? Life is hard- Duh. THIS is why I am here- I KNEW that life would hold it's challenges, but with challenges brings great growth. This is a great part from the talk We will not feel incapable of doing what we are called to do or need to do. We will be strengthened, and our lives will be filled withpeace and joy.3 We will come to realize that most of what we worry aboutis not of eternal significance—and if it is, the Lord will help us. But wemust have the faith to look up and the courage to follow His direction.
 I know that we will encounter difficult times and there will be times when we wonder how we can accomplish all that our heart yearns to accomplish and how we can fulfill what we are called to do, but I know that we can. I know Heavenly Father asks things of us beyond our capacities so that we can turn to Him and so we can grow. He would not ask anything of us without knowing how we can accomplish it. In the Book of Mormon one of the ancient prophets said, "I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them." (1 Nephi 3:7). I know this to be true. I am grateful for challenges above what we can accomplish so we can turn to our Father in Heaven and accomplish them. 
Ok, I just had to say that, but now I have to get back to studying for finals. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment